'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 250 Inline 6 Performance Build Q's---Hello Brad---

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorris009 View Post
Clifford makes the shorty headers....
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...gory_Code=C250

& the long tube....
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...gory_Code=C250

My understanding of what LeoSantucci wrote in his Stovebolt power manual (could be wrong) is that long tube headers work better than the "Shorties" for a street driven vehicle 2700 pounds or more.

But from what I've read on the net. There may be a clearance issue with the "Long Tubes" & the tranny shift linkages.

If you look at pictures of the $385.00 Clifford long tubes,
the $195.00 Headmans &
the $130.00 Flowtechs.....
They all look like they have the same bends/dimensions.

I'm just trying to find out if they are basically the same or are the more expensive Cliffords worth the extra cash.
I,E.... better clearance/performance.
I've been running the same Clifford long tube headers on the 292 in my '68 C/10 Stepside since 1978 [back when they were still Clifford 'Research']. I have an SM 465 with stock L6 Z-Bar clutch linkage. My truck is at stock ride height -- no mods. I had no major clutch linkage interference issues that a ball pien hammer, judiciously applied, didn't cure. It was 32 years ago and I had help from a local hotrod mechanic, so I can't recall all the details.
Theoretically, long tube headers are good for better torque.
For the record, I have had the manifold plate resurfaced and an offroad accident that crushed into the #5 downtube into the collector was resectioned and patched with a half section of pipe, but the Cliffords have served me well for years. They ran about 24 years on the last engine, then were hot tanked and bead-blasted, finally painted with VHT 1200* cast iron grey spray paint and put back on the 'new' engine [the original, but rebuilt @ .030-over, w/ Crane 260H cam, 307 V8 intake valves [1.84"] and a few other mods]. I'm still running these headers 5 years after the rebuild and they are great.
I run dual exhaust with a crossover [angled since the 1-2-3 collector and the 4-5-6 collector exit about 11" apart]. I have turbo mufflers and the stock, behind-the-rear-tire exhaust piping. I think the tube diameter is 1-7/8" or 2".
But then I live in Southern Arizona, and unless I'm skiing, run into zero salty slush.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote