View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #18
lsversaw

Re: In-dash stereo upgrade?

I agree with Strkr that there is a lot of new stuff out there. I think the newest trend with the new stuff is to separate the music source from the amplification and speakers. The source can be a phone, a portable music player, or just a USB stick ("thumb drive"). All the "head unit" has to do is receive the music from the source, amplify it, and send it to the speakers. And, for safety and convenience, provide volume control. And also radio reception, which phones don't do very well.

The great thing is, an original radio can be equipped with Bluetooth, an input jack, and a USB port, so it can receive music from any source. And an original radio can be modified to receive FM stereo. And power 4 speakers, plus external amps if you'd like.

So if you want to maintain the original appearance, or want something that doesn't look out of place, you have option of doing all the new stuff with a completely original appearance.

I'll stop my shameless self-promotion there, but PM me if you want more info.

By the way, I still think Alberta's install looks great, because in total his dash mods go together well.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote