View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #249
phillipm

Re: 78 2wd Blazer - LS Swap and more..

Out of the blue I was driving the Blazer home one night and bam, it wanted to die and was puffing plumes of smoke out the back. After making a U-Turn and finding a safe place to pull over I pulled out the laptop and started poking around in HP Tuners to see what was happening. Turned out the fuel trims were -25% which is basically pulling as much fuel as possible and it's still too rich. On the way home it died again and I had trouble getting it started. Had to give it about 1/2 throttle to get it running.

After doing some more research Dad and I realized it was possibly the carbon EVAP canister and system that were where the faults could be. Pulled the old canister out and turned it over, sure enough fuel rolled out of it! Well shoot, that's not good. A few things transpired from that. First we realized that I plumbed the system wrong. The neck vent should not have been teed into the EVAP supply line. It should of been plumbed to the fuel module liquid separator port. And two, where I had the canister guaranteed that if fuel did make it into the line it would roll all the way down to the canister.

So, after re-plumbing the neck vent we got to work remounting the canister in the rear of the truck just behind the drivers rear tire. I made a shelf that holds the back half of the canister and then riveted on a plate to the floor which included two TIG welded 3/8" studs to run flange nuts on to. Now the canister is just above the top of the tank and we should no longer have issues with the fuel, fingers crossed!

Last edited by phillipm; 12-29-2017 at 01:04 PM.
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote