View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #24
72stepside327

Re: Battery/amp gauge

Quote:
I can't understand why the conversion isn't working if the pins on the connector are changed and the ammeter wires are added as shown. This conversion has been done dozens of times with good results.
Check Murphy's law X 10 for me.

Quote:
It measures the difference in voltage at 2 points in the charging circuit. One point is close to the battery and the other is close to the alt. If the alt side is higher, indicating the alt is working, the gauge reads toward the right.
Oh mine IS slightly to the right. Pull the whole dash panel out, it's slightly to the right, hook it up, it's slightly to the right, start the truck it's slightly to the right with never so much as a millimeter/quiver of difference no matter if connected, disconnected, started, or killed. I've checked the wiring a dozen times, it's spot on with the manual. I have voltage at the dash clip pins at both #1 & #12 when checked to ground (#7), circuit is good, gauge ohms out right, it's not shorted, etc.

I'm wondering more and more about that innocuos "fusible link" near the passenger fender on the charging wire in the wiring manual, as well as Fixit's comment about the charging wire being a certain length/resistance.
72stepside327 is offline   Reply With Quote