View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 58 chevy truck amp gauge wiring help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA1754 View Post
I appreciate your input, I have an alternator, as previously stated when I started the post, my entire drive train is from a 77 Chevy malibu.
The 2 wires from back of the gauge are not shorted to ground.
My test leads one on ground, other on a wire is reading 12 volts.
I was told that if I had both wires off the back of the amp gauge that only one wire should have constant 12 volt reading, but I'm reading 12 volts on either wire.
Yesterday I removed the wires at the alternator, & was still reading 12 volts on either wire.
It's quite possible that you have a wire from the battery side (Red) connected to something on the black side without going through the amp meter. Example would be the radio, a cigarette lighter or some light. It wouldn't create a problem unless it was drawing current all the time, in which case it would discharge the battery.
If you have the ampmeter wires off can you get anything to work like the loghts or horn or heater fan. This would help find the current crossover.

Do you have any mix and match from the malibu drive train concerning electrics, like an external voltage regulator, or alternator that would need to be hot all the time with key off?

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote