View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #87
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

My original plan was to graft the rear suspension into the 944 first as I thought it would be a little more simple than the front and I could get my mojo going before tackling the front graft.

But with the problems I had with buying the right parts I'm going to leave the rear alone for awhile and shift my plans and do the front graft before the rear.

If I can't do any actual work on the car at least I can sit around and stare at it. Here is a comparison shot of what the engine bay of the Mustang and the 944 look like. The two photos are roughly to scale. You can see where I posed my tape measure on the top of the shock towers in each photo.

In order to do a CARB legal engine swap here in California I have to use stock LS headers and I want as much room in the engine bay as possible. The 944 bay is very narrow between the frame horns and the firewall has a 4" jog on each side. But the biggest space hog in the 944 are the gigantic inner fender tubs.

For comparison, the width across from fender pinch weld to pinch weld on the 944 is about 1.5" wider than the Mustang but the width between strut tower sides is almost 4" wider on the Mustang than the 944. The Mustang firewall is flat and is almost in the same location as the rear-most face of the 944 firewall (above the trans tunnel).

Bottom line is the Mustang engine bay is more roomy than the 944's. So the plan is to graft most of the Mustang's engine bay sheet metal from the firewall to up near the radiator and from fender pinch weld to fender pinch weld.
Attached Images

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote