View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #96
Orange Crate

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
New gear came in the mail today. Good news on the gear, it has a seal installed on the inner bore. So, disregard my verbiage in post #50 where I say there is no seal on inner gear bore to shaft. I was happy to find I was wrong. No good specs on the gear when I bought it.

When I got the gear it became apparent what to do, though you do have two choices.

1) Surface collar of new gear down to same length as original gear and use old style small shaft seal only.

2) Bore the case to accommodate the new bigger size seal.

I ran the case down to the machine shop this evening and had the case milled to 1.745 (just shy of 1 3/4". The new seal is hard rubber and not metal cased, so I opted for a bit tighter tolerance.

So now I will order the Western Motors 8933 motor.

The gear is Pierce Sales Motor Drive Gear (PS654)
seal is motor seal (PS654)
and woodruff key (PS654)

So the cost to get off the old 10 spline motor:= $30 for the new gear and $30 for the case milling. Plus some change for the seal and woof woof key.

So about $140 to upgrade off the 10 spline. So the price of the 8933 is $83(free shipping) plus the $60 for gear and mill work. Try to buy a 10 spline for that!

Here's some pics.

New and Old gears.
Attachment 1508407

New gear had shaft seal installed already.
Attachment 1508408

New and old gears with seals. The old gear is shorter and stops at the transfer so the seal is same diameter as the gear. The new gear is longer and has a fatter collar the runs through the case.
Attachment 1508414

Case milled for new bigger seal.
Attachment 1508415

Inside view with big seal and new gear.
Attachment 1508417
By converting to the larger diameter seal and gear that matches, it allows the removal of the motor to replace the seal and NOT have to remove the drive gear (to replace seals) as you did with the old small gear and small diameter seals (seals were installed behind the drive gear). I am sure with the smooth shaft and woodruff key it will be easier to remove the gear if you have to but, it would not be mandatory to remove the drive gear when the seal needs to be replaced.