View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #10
singleshot

Re: How much fluid in TH400?

Not to make my initial post here a non-informative, but I just dealt with a th400 oil pan drop and refill.

New to me truck (78), super info from the PO (not) and a leaking out-put seal (rear seal). So after changing the rear seal I went to top off what I had lost after driving it home. Now mind you, this was not just a dripping leak, this was a steady flow of drips.

Here's where the first of many alarm bells started going off with this truck. I put three and a half quarts in and NEVER got a drop on my dip stick. Of which, I pumped probably a quart out the over-flow tube and onto my shop floor (ignorant error on my part).

Long story short? After dropping the pan, I noted that there wasn't any dip stick protruding into the pan. The PO and or the builder of the th400 put the wrong stick in the tube. After a fruitless search of the local parts stores and transmissions shops, I ended up cutting 6 5/8" off the tube so that the stick was in the proper position (really cleans up the engine compartment with the dip stick neatly tucked behind the valve cover).

5 1/2 quarts to fill after dropping the pan, filter and gasket replacement..
singleshot is offline   Reply With Quote