View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #37
PoDuck

Re: How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster

This is pretty cool. I've been looking for this kind of info.

By the way, you don't have to get a new lens if you're just dealing with surface scratches on plexiglass. There are all sorts of products that will polish that stuff out of plastic. You don't even need the expensive headlight repair kits. A polishing wheel on a grinder and a plastic buffing and polishing compound would work better.

The only issue is when the plastic is cracked on a gauge cluster. There are ways to "repair" that, but none will be flawless, and when they don't make a repop lens for your gauge, it's a bear.

My lens actually has a crack in it, as well as scratches. I can replace it with clear plexiglass, but the numbers and things that are engraved into the plastic will be lost, and I've been exploring options on how to reproduce that.

I could design a stencil on the computer and reproduce those things with a flat painted look, but it won't look original.

I could find someone with a cnc machine, but that doesn't allow someone to do it in their own house unless they have one, and it would possibly end up more expensive than just finding an old gauge cluster in decent shape.

I'm not sure what could be done in such a situation, but it would be nice to figure something out.
PoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote