View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #57
weq92f

Re: aftermarket sniper install problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I received an email from Edelbrock the other day and it made me think about this thread. I hope you don't mind me posting this here?

https://www.edelbrock.com/eliminate-...m_medium=email

Here's the gist of that article distilled down to match the spirit of this thread...

<snip>...
After no less than eight installations using the Holley TBI, Gateway has had key issues with each one.
Burgett pulled no punches when he listed the problems that his engine department was having with the Holley Sniper TBI. The major issues were:

SYSTEM FAILURE – Premature failure of the Sniper system in the field. Following a proper tune, it would backfire on the customer and then fail to start. This occurred with two of the eight installations.

BACKFIRING, BOGGING AND SURGING – Tuning was erratic. Burgett said that after properly tuning, they would see lean conditions with backfire into the intake, hesitation at start, bogging under hard acceleration, and surging.

EXCESSIVE IDLE SPEED – High idle speeds were set by an authorized independent repair shop under warranty in an effort to prevent stalling when shifting into Drive or Reverse. (Burgett says that this solution was provided by Holley Tech Support and the repair shop, not Gateway Bronco.)

INCONSISTENCY – Throttle response with the Holley Sniper could be exceptional on one vehicle, but poor on another with the exact same engine, ignition, tires, transmission, and gearing.

BURGETT SAID that when they tried to transfer a Sniper TBI to another vehicle to determine where the problem was, the same issues would follow the TBI unit.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote