View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
inlikeflint

Wheel sizes and hub spacers for '73-'87 P/U

Howdy,

I have one of those pickem'up bed trailers made out of a Chevy frame, rear axle, and 8 food bed, and I'm not sure where to find the VIN# (since that is usually in the cab)... so, I am left to speculate what sort of rear end of truck that I have.

I know it is a Chevy, the tailgate gave it away, and I know that if I want to get the right kind of real tail light covers, I have to have ones made for 1973-1987 Chevy truck. The wheel hubs have 6 lugs... so that might mean something. (I have a '96 Suburban with 8 lugs and lots of people are always asking me if I am interested in selling it... It's another story)...

Anyway, here is my dilemma;
I decided to get newer tires for my trailer. Preforably used because I use the trailer for junking, hauling, and dumping. The wheels are mismatched and kind of has a Fred Sanford thing going on. The tires are 235/75R15's and I was just going to get a set from a used tire store, and for some reason they want too much for used tires this size... so I searched my local Craigslist and ended up buying used wheels on newer steelies that were 16" ant matched my suburban's look and everything was lovey-dovey until I went to mount and then that is when I discovered that 265/75/R16 rubs on the inside wheel wells , but it looks really good, and I have the wheels, so I figured, maybe I can get some wheel spacers... (I only need two, so, I'm sure e-bay has my back or maybe an auto salvage yard might have a couple).

The question is... what measurements do I need to be concerned with? (Since my hub center is a little large) Every place I go to put in my vehicle year and model identifier tells me that I need 5 lugs and not 6... I realize that my current steelies are set out at about 5" instead of 3" like my old steelie and mismatched trailer style wheel are. I watched a few Youtube videos on how to cut the wheels out and re-weld them and I am confident that I could pull that off, but it would seem to me that If I just got a set of spacers I could just fix my problem for less than $60.00... so I decided to join this forum and see if anybody else can relate to what I'm babbling on about, and point me in the right direction.
inlikeflint is offline   Reply With Quote