View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
halfstep

Re: What have you guys used for custom side view mirrors?

Obviously individual taste, but since you're asking...
I would lean to a factory chrome mirror off another GM vehicle from the same era. It would be custom, but a little more subtle and period correct.

I took both my sport mirrors off and put in a wide angle "Allview" mirror in place of my center rearview. This gives me a leaner exterior look and almost 180* of rear vision. The new mirror fits onto my existing windshield tab and with a little tweaking doesn't look too far off stock except it's twice as wide.

Road racing in the past I have used wide angle mirrors like WINK and a few parabolic types and I like this variant (allviewmirror.com) - it's not really parabolic (deep curve) and not a bunch of panels in a box, but they are all functional improvements. The allview and other better quality (less/no distortion)are a little more expensive ($50-100) but you can try a cheap $15 clip on parabolic to get a taste.

My '72 came with factory sport mirrors (driver & pass). They look great, but were virtually useless in reality - driver side I had to turn too far to the left and take my eyes off the road in front. The passenger side I was better off just glancing out the windows. To be useful I would have to move the driver mirror way forward. Of course we all adapt to driving what we have and any rearview mirror can be fine.
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote