View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
reed62

Re: Vent window seal replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen View Post
I've done the bend/clamp method several times and haven't had a single issue.

I used to use dish soap for some rubber parts, but tend to rely on WD40 now. A little bit helps sneak rubber parts in tight places.

By the time you push the frame back together and re-rivet the lower bracket back to the division bar, its back in shape. just don't bend it any more than necessary to get the window out.

If you want a tutorial type video on you tube, look for a 55-59 vent window procedure. They're so similar if you follow the steps for those, you'll be able to get through a 60-63 without an issue.

So I used the dish soap and it made it much easier. I slide one side under the edge of the frame and then you only have the opposite side to "snap" in.

The only issue I had was trying to fit the vent wing divider deal into place. It seemed to be too thick after riveting it in place. I didn't feel like ordering seals from 4 different companies trying to find a set that fit well. I will probably use some adhesive backed foam tape at some point in the future. Might even work on removing some of the backing from the seal so it isn't so thick. There seems to be a lot of rubber coating and if I remove it that might give me enough room to clear the glass edge. Right now it sits about 1/8" too proud.

I also found a small trick to making the felt runners fit a little better. I bent the edges of the door edge where they snap into away slightly from the window opening. This angles the bottoms of the felt runners away from the glass. Seems to work pretty good and the window comes all the way up and only has a small 1/4" gap at the top but if you put a little more crank on the window crank it will pop up and seal the deal. Not ideal but it will work for me.
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote