Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #24
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

This evening I am going to start "Fixing" my ole 66.

I am going to pull the motor and transmission out...get the entire engine bay cleaned.
Once the motor is out I am going to put a complete gasket set on it, replace the leaking front and rear seals ( reason for pulling motor) I don't really want to rebuild it as it does run strong, does not smoke...
I am going to check timing chain, oil pump and pretty much everything I can without pulling it completely apart.

A nice friend also graciously gave me a power brake booster and a dual master cylinder...new in the box so while I have the motor out I am going to be adding that as well including new brake lines........I didn't want to change to much in way of originality but this change is more for safety as a dual master cylinder will allow me to still have breaks at one end or the other is a leak occurs.

I am contemplating putting in a 700R4 Transmission while I am doing this so that I can cruise at a little higher speed at less RPMS.....I may change the rear end gear to accomplish this...really just depends on the way I decide to go....I do not mind the 3 on the tree...but an automatic would be nice I think...as long as I can get an original automatic steering column I think it would be ok.

While I am doing this I am going to remove the gas tank, drain it and make sure it doesn't have any trash inside of it....It does not leak....

Before I reinstall the motor I will fix some little things like windshield washer motor, put new lines on it...I will also paint the inner fenders and I am highly considering painting the firewall while I have everything out of it...
So in the next coming days and week I will be posting some photos of the progress and kind of documenting costs, time etc for future reference.

Once I get the entire mechanical part straight then I will look at having it painted back original....

Hope you enjoy....John

Last edited by Johns 66; 04-25-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote