View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 11:08 PM   #16
JohnIL

Plans for an Over-drive Transmission

I mentioned early on that the truck desperately needs an over-drive. Now that the small block is behaving itself, I'm not in a big hurry to spend money on an LS and 4L60E combination. That begs the question, what to do about over-drive?

There are two obvious choices:

1) Replace the Saginaw 4 speed manual with a 5 speed manual (with over-drive).

2)Make the leap to an automatic and install a 700r4.

Either choice would involve a significant investment. I would prefer an automatic for easy drivability and I still hope to modernize the drivetrain someday. With that in mind, a 700r4 seems like the logical choice. Once I have a 700r4, moving to a 4L60E in the future is pretty easy. The case hs the same dimensions, so the crossmember and shifter can be reused. OK, time to start looking for an affordable 700r4.

This past weekend, my son and I paid a visit to my uncle's shop. He's a retired independent mechanic and classic car collector. He specializes in Pontiac GTO's, specifically the very rare Judge Ram Air III and Ram Air IV models. He's been buying and selling cars and parts for 50+ years. When I asked if he knew of a good source for a low-buck used 700r4. His response was, "Oh, I bought one of those a couple of weeks ago. Do you want it?" I couldn't believe my ears (or my luck). He had bought the contents of another Pontiac collector, when the gentleman passed away. Amongst all of the Pontiac parts was this random Chevy 700r4. Since it won't bolt to a Pontiac engine, my uncle had no use for it. He refused to take more than $100 for it. And, it came complete with a matching torque converter. What a deal!

So, I have a transmission. Based on the code stamping, it appears to be a 1989. It will need a new filter and pan gasket, but that's pretty minor. I hope to get it installed in the truck in the spring. I'll start collecting the parts needed for the conversion over the winter.

And that brings us up-to-date. The truck is finally drivable, just in time for the limited use antique vehicle license plates to go dormant at the end of October. After that, I can only drive to/from car shows until April. I'll probably park the truck over the winter to keep it out of the nasty Illinois salt and snow anyway. Until then, I'll keep nibbling away at the to-do list and generally enjoying the old truck.
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote