View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #21
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Cummins swap, I know there is a search button but the info is burried in many thr

Randy, I've rebuilt many of them. Around here the rust and corrosion make it really hard to justify me rebuilding a turbo unless it's mine. Turbo rebuild facilities have special ovens they shove the cores in to rip them apart with less likelihood of breaking bolts and getting the housings off without ruining them. I don't have that and after the last 3 breaking every bolt off in the exhaust housing, I've had enough.

If yours has an HX35w, there are 4 bolts you have to remove to get the retaining clamps off so you can remove the center section from the exhaust housing. Most times you have to heat the exhaust housing to get the center section off.

Once you have the center out, place the center section in a vice and remove the comp housing. It has a very large snap ring that holds the compressor housing to the center section. Use large pliers or a huge snap ring pliers to remove it. Sometimes you will need to rap on the snap ring ears to get it to break loose. Be careful, they bite! You can use a small dead blow and tap side to side from the back to help break it loose. Be careful not to get the housing too cocked while doing this or you can damage the comp housing/wheel and or bend the turbine shaft. Once that is off you can remove the nut off the turbine shaft and remove the turbine form the center section. Then there is a snap ring to remove the thrust plate and there are other small snap rings holding the bushings in the center section. Sometimes you get lucky and they come right apart. Very doubtful though. Haha

Make sure your low pressure fuel gauge has a snubber in it other wise your needle will bounce.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote