View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #25
Scott2

Re: Scott's '51 Build

Before I start the body work I decided to install Altman latches so when I'm ready to fit the doors back they'll actually latch. These were pretty straightforward except that the template they provided for the cut away area seemed too small. I went to their website and downloaded the template, printed it out and sure enough, it was a bit larger. Their copier must have shrunk the one they sent. Anyway, pretty straightforward and both doors are done.

I've also been trying to rebuild the door hinges, emphasis on trying, not doing. It's been impossible to remove the hinge pins on mine so far. I heated them with a small torch, lubed them with everything I could find, pounded on them, and even tried to use my vise as a press which ended semi-tragically when the back jaw broke off (I've had that vise for about 40 years...). I am now going to try and just cut the pins between the parts of the hinge and then will go find a shop with a bigass torch and manly press and try that.

I did discover one hinge is cracked but found another used one nearby. Maybe that one will be easier to rebuild.

I also fabbed up a support structure (copied from others on the site - thank you!) for the cab and got that it place so everything will stay set when I cut out and replace the floors and cowl pieces. After reading all the posts I can find I'm pretty sure this means carefully preserving the original crappy fit of the doors!

Scott
Attached Images

Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote