View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #153
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Installed the upper control arms today. I assembled them Grumpy style, by threading the bushings with the shaft installed on the truck. So if it doesn't work out, I know just who to blame

Pretty much uneventful, but the RH side doesn't move up and down as freely as the LH side, couldn't tell you why. So I did the RH side over again, which was a wasted effort. It still doesn't move as freely, but I suspect it's good.

EDIT: I think I do know why the RH control arm doesn't move as freely. The rear seal contacts the control arm bracket. There's plenty of clearance on the LH side, I don't know why there would be a difference. It's not as if you can install the shafts backwards, I think?

Suppose I could add another shim. I installed the shims as they were beforehand.
Yes, you can install them backwards, IIRC.

On my truck, I put in a new rear differential vent. I never noticed it before, but someone drilled a hole in the diff cover and put in a fitting. Then they ran the vent via a hose to the fitting on the cover. It was still vented, because the hose didn't fit the fitting on the diff cover tightly, and fell off. I don't know why I never noticed it before. Weird. There was also a fitting where the vent should have been, in order to run the hose to the diff cover.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote