View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Tranny / tcase problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmstore34 View Post
the transfer case is barely hanging on (just by the side mount that bolts to the frame)
BINGO! When you replace the adapter do not use the frame bracket when you go back together. There is a reason GM quit using that side bracket. I have an old work colleague that retired a few years ago that was a GMC truck engineer from the late 60’s up until a couple years ago. He worked out of Pontiac Truck Product Center in Pontiac, MI. When I was doing my NV4500 swap last year being so many people here were wondering why I didn't add the side bracket. I asked him about that side bracket that was used on the early model 205’s and if I should add it and he said DO NOT use that bracket and if you have one take it OFF! It may have lasted 40 years but I wouldn’t use that side bracket going after you fix it. Chances are the adapter has been cracked for quite a while before it finally bombed out. That side bracket caused GM lots of problems back in the day with broken bellhousings and adapters on TH350 automatics and broken adapters on manual trans trucks, which is why the '73 and later trucks didn't have the tcase to frame bracket. Later 205’s didn’t even have the holes drilled and tapped.

I have a 465/205 adapter that you can have for free. Just pay the ride. This adapter is also from a ’71 or ’72 and must have had a small crack as it has been welded. I used it for 10 years without issues and became a shop ornament once I swapped in the NV4500. PM if you want it. I shipped a TH350/205 adapter a while back and the shipping was around $40. PM if you are interested and I’ll get you some pictures of the weld job.

'78....no holes drilled in the tcase
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote