View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #168
rfmaster

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Sorry if this is a repeat post, The other one did not look like it was posted.

Almost ready to install but had a few more questions:

My Oil Pressure Switch has three wires coming off it: orng, gry, and light tan. I know where the orng and gry wires go but where does the light tan wire go?
Orange is battery side of FP supply circuit, gray is the fuel pump (FP) side of the circuit. Tan wire goes to oil pressure gauge (depending on switch part number it can be gauge or oil pressure light)

Quote:
To install Dizzy do I need to find TDC on #1 and install dizzy so rotor points at #1 plug wire?
Yes, you need to find #1 Cylinder TDC and corresponding dizzy post.

Quote:
What should I start with for timming for a TBI 5.7L?
0 TDC with EST connector open is a standard for truck TBI.

Quote:
I need to disconnect a wire to set timming? D5 lt brn/blk wire?
You should have a single wire weather pack connector - usually it is light brown with white or black stripe. Try to get your engine going first, then set the timing once it warms up. 0 TDC is the number. With EST connector open ECM will set code 42 - this is perfectly normal. Clear it by disconnecting battery after shutting engine.

Quote:
Any advice on timming or insatlling the Dizzy would be great.

Thanks again for all the help and I hope people are getting some usefull information from this thread!
Before taking original dizzy out remove hat and turn engine by hand until balancer reads 0 TDC and mark and rotor points toward #1 on dizzy. Mark that location before removing dizzy from intake. As you pull dizzy out the rotor will turn counter clockwise. Mark the final position as well. The idea here is to pre-align TBI dizzy so it just drops in place of HEI. Otherwise, turn engine to the 0 TDC and with a help of 12" BFS turn oil shaft as shown in the figure below. The key is to have oil pump shaft slot to line up with #5 Intake rocker (approximately). Turn TBI dizzy counter clockwise so as it drops it will turn clockwise and engage oil pump shaft. Whoa la!
Attached Images

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote