View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #76
joe231

Re: My 1991 Crew Cab project

So, I did pull the valve body and had a trans shop check it out. Everything's good. I installed a trans cooler (why it didn't have one from the factory,, I can't understand), it helped immensely. I believe my torque converter is bad. It's slipping and creating excess heat. When the computer sees the high temperature it puts the trans in limp mode. So after the cooler install, everything was going great, I even helped a buddy move by pulling his gutted travel trailer full of tools with no problems. Then one weekend we took the truck to get a load of compost for the wife's garden, the trans got hot and wouldn't shift. I was cruising the back roads stuck in first gear with the load. I was reving the engine higher than I should have and it got pretty hot. It lost oil pressure, so I pulled over and had a buddy come pull me the rest of the way home. I changed the oil hoping that would help. It didn't help. It has some pressure cold and it drops to nothing after it warms up. Just idling in the driveway to warm it up, it developed a lower end knock. So now it's just sitting, waiting for me to pull the engine. I'm going to try and do a budget rebuild, depending on what I find inside it...