Thread: 198Plus build
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #123
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: 198Plus build by Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
It sanded good still needs some work on the top part. Spending most of my time working on my bedsides what a mess. They drilled holes to do bodywork? They never pulled the metal out far enough if at all and they never welded the hole back up. So all around the holes its rusted. Makes it a pain to weld shut. Question for ya. Why do you weld the seems shut on the bed/hood. It seems like you could just use seam sealer? I welded the end of my bedsides but not the seams down the sides becauses I was'nt sure how to grind the welds down. I've got my bedside close to being done should I skim coat the whole thing again?
I'm welding my seams for a cleaner look and also to keep rust from forming where the 2 pieces come together. Seam sealer might could be used, but I wouldn't just my preferrence. I used a grinding stone (wheel) on a die grinder to clean up the welds. I think I have a pic of the grinding stone somewhere in my build. I think it is a 3M 1991 grinding wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
Really outstanding photographs Alan - a wealth of detail that I know I'm going to tap once I'm ready to do the sheet metal work on "The Tan."

Thank You.

Mac.
Glad it will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
Alan......Went ahead and ordered the rear fender braces for the front fenders, should arrive Tuesday.
Keep up the great work !!!!!!!
Thanks, it will be a better repair.

First I have a question. The bed parts that come from Mar-K are galvanized if I'm not mistaken. What do ya'll use to prep it for primer?

Summer cold came back with a vengence today. I had to keep a drip pan under my nose all day. Got home and got some DP90 on the inner bed panels. It kept getting surface rust where they were handled. I removed the rust prints prior to painting. The pic is before I did that. DP90 will show all of the dents which is helpful when it is time to repair. I've got to mock the bed up and weld in the angles to the inner panels.

Got slick sand on the fender also.

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote