View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #53
67L30WGN

Re: Windshield gasket blues: Precision supplies Steele and possibly Soff Seal

I had the windshield replaced on my '72 Cheyenne Super 10 (with trim) a couple of months ago using a Steele gasket. The glass shop injected sealant all the way around under the exposed lip on the outside of the glass as well as in the track that fits to the pinch weld. When installed, the gasket fit perfectly to the body, and I mean absolutely perfectly - no puckering, no stretching. And there were no leaks. Now there are leaks all along the bottom. The water is getting in around the glass, not the body.

I brought the truck back to the glass shop today and they figured out the sealant under the lip was no longer stuck to the Steele gasket, but was still stuck to the windshield. He suggested smearing a thin line of sealant around the gasket on the outside claiming I will barely see it. I'm not thrilled with that idea, as it seems half-assed and not stock, but more importantly, I'm still wondering why the sealant let go of the rubber and what should/could have been done differently? Did the rubber have some kind of coating on it? Is it too late to use a different sealant under the rubber if it can be cleaned properly with the glass in place? What should it be cleaned with? I hate to start over with such a nice fit.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 HT
1962 Nash Metropolitan Convertible (Wife's car)

Last edited by 67L30WGN; 03-16-2012 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Additional question
67L30WGN is offline   Reply With Quote