View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #13
RobinHood

Re: 1957 Chevy 3600 Mild Custom Build

Thanks, I think the camaro swap was the way to go. My clip was out of a 77 Firebird, I believe, but I got it for such a good deal and the parts should all swap over for the most part.

The person who built this truck before really upsets me in a lot of ways. Every patch panel on the truck was a piece of sheet metal brazed on with bronze and slathered in a thick coat of bondo. Both cab corners, fender eyebrows, doors, rear front fenders, rear fenders, and parts of the roof pillars were done in this manner. Replacing the sheet metal and fully de-rusting every surface has really been where I spent most of my time so far. Here are some pictures of the fenders that I cut out and replaced the sheet metal on. I know alot of guys would throw these away and buy repops, but I have much more time than money available to spend on the truck at this point, and I really enjoy doing everything I can myself. Both rear sections under the cross brace on both front fenders and the fender corners were rotted out. I outline the section to be replaced with masking tape, cut it out, use paper to create the exact patch panel, weld it in, and smooth it out. I think while both of the body gap lines will need some tweaking to get perfect, that it came out pretty good.
Attached Images

RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote