Thread: 47-55.1 garage pics
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2023, 01:33 AM   #28
mr48chev

Re: garage pics

I'm like Leegreen in that I do all of my welding outside of my built in the mid 30's one car garage. The main reason is that one spark that goes in the wrong direction could burn that thing down in ten minutes.

His dryer plug and cord for the welde reminds me of when I had to move the stove in the kitchen and unplug the stove and plug in the welder that had and still has a 50 or so (never measured it (4 strand 480 volt ) SO cord that I rescued out of the scrap Metal bin at work. Each strand is equal to a #4 battery cable so it doesn't have an excess of resistance. My stick welder also has a 40ft lead on the stinger that lets me get way out at the back of a truck or trailer. I don't use that one much anymore but may have to drag it out so my son in law can tune up his welding skills. He may havdaughter in law teach him the finer points as she is a former AG teacher.

My vise and grinder are on opposite sides on a stand that has a semi truck brake drum as a base. I cut several inches off the post after my wife took this photo as a super tall guy in Ellensberg Wa must have built it. The Bench grinder is probably one of the least used pieces of equipment that I have. I'm going to have to check Chicago Junk on 3rd avenue in Yakima for a piece of heavy steel plate to put between the grinder and the vise to have something to set something on and beat on.

Side note for Nvrdone: Chicago Junk sells scrap metal by the pound, he selection varies but quite often you can find a cut off piece of new metal about the size you need in their stash be it steel, aluminum or stainless. They are on Third avenue about a block off Yakima avenue. Pacific steel will cut to length but charges accordingly and Morton's supply will cut to length or they have a rem rack that you can poke though for short cut off pieces.

Morton Supply on South first also stocks lengths of tubing and angle and has a rem rack that I dig though a lot to find short pieces of already cut tubing or angle for projects.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote