View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
jradford

Re: A/C System pressures

Sorry for the long post but have been doing lots of research the past few days. Talked to Classic Air and Old Air yesterday and they claim to only offer universal fit parallel flow condensers. I have been unable to find a receiver/dryer that says it is compatible with R134A(the stock one isn't). Most people have just used the stock one anyway either through lack of knowledge or lack of a resource. I doubt if the TXV orfice size is correct for R2134A but I don't think it ever gets addressed. Maybe it is not significant. All the auto supply stores want to sell you PAG 46 or 100. The Harrison A6 should have PAG 150. There have been many failures attributed to not using the correct oil. I am going to dump some of the charge today and see if that helps. Hopefully with the truck off I can dump charge slowly and not loose too much oil in the process. Pressures are 110/425 with a fan. A problem I created myself when adding freon without gauges to try and clear the sight glass. I may have a restriction in the system somewhere as well. Any advice on where to look? I am thinking the TXV orfice or the inlet screen on the compressor. Once i have rounded up all the parts ie: new dryer, hoses, o-rings and maybe a front double lip seal for the compressor I will take the system apart if dumping the charge doesn't help. Surprisingly the system doesn't appear to have any leaks. The only real reason to take everything apart is to check the POA setting as I doubt it was changed 19 yrs ago when the original conversion from R12 to R134A was done. I think they flushed the system, changed the oil and recharged with R134A. Any additional thoughts from ya'll's experience? PS: As I stated I talked to Old Air yesterday and they said they didn't have the condenser and dryer for R134A for this truck but just went to their catalog and found the kit. Maybe not a parallel flow condenser so they didn't recommend the super cool kit.

Last edited by jradford; 06-18-2019 at 08:09 AM.
jradford is offline   Reply With Quote