Thread: just my 0.2
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
kevinr1970

Re: just my 0.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapranch View Post
I remember in the early 80s a lot of guys were putting the newer clip on there 73-80s. Probably to give there trucks an updated look without having to buy a new one.
Probably the same reason people put the 89-91 clips on the older trucks. I used to realy be into the idea, even bought a core/grill/harness/etc., but now that I have it I am not so sure? If I were building a really custom truck I would have already done it. But my trucks are more like "stock-rods"; they are basicly OEM GM parts, but not for the year truck I have.
But how is it any different than me having a grill and bezels from an '85-87(8) on my '82? The only way I would run an OEM 81-82 Chev or GMC grill is if it was on a super-clean, low mile original. I just don't like the looks of them.
I see the big wheels are the trend now. But I just really like the look of a clean set of rallye's. Love the look of the big wheels on others rides... just not mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
My Dad's been blasted for having 63 Corvette knock off wheels on his otherwise bone stock all original 57 Bel Air Hardtop. The 57 pureists say it needs to be 100% stock, while the vette nuts think it's blasphamy to have knock offs on any other car but a 63 Vette.
When I bought my 86 Buick GN in 92 it had a set of 16" IROC rims on it. And they looked pretty good; blacked out between the "ribs". Certainly better than the stock wheels to me. But I grew tired of the "Dude, sweet Monty" comments from the uneducated. And the absolute loathing I got from the other GN guys. Even the ones running after-market aluminum rims!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
... use the k5 frame for a 69 Camaro car/truck project (how's that for a double whammy)...
There used to be a 67-69 Camaro that ran around locally that the body was mounted on a 70-something K5 frame. Interesting but I always wondered how the visibility would be as you sit so low in the car compared to a truck? This thing was lifted pretty high and was certainly no driveway queen. He used it for wheeling.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote