View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
McDeezl

Re: '72 GMC long/fleet in Ottawa area

So today was instant gratification day!
Years ago worked for a shop foreman who was a great old guy with the coolest funniest one liners. Would often come by and say "jeez, looks good when you put the big stuff on huh?"
Today was one of those days.
Had to McGyver my McGyver attachment for the backhoe to lift the cab and set it on the chassis. It's an old Hiab boom that I fabbed to fit where the bucket attaches on excavator boom. I used a 2x8 plank and temporary welded angle iron brackets to the top of the boom with screws from underneath into the plank. Couple pieces of carpet on the plank the protect the contact edge on the door seal flange and Bob's your uncle! That's a lot of McGyvering but hey, whatever works!
Stuck the rad support on as well ... ironically one of the very few parts from the original donor truck that gets used. Some major surgery on it but it came out ok.
So feels pretty darned good having the whole thing back in the garage where I can finally get back to sparks and bolts ... my comfort zone
Getting everything lined up and coordinated so I'll be able to spend the winter putting things back together. Picked up a complete retrofit wiring kit from American Autowire - sweet! Gonna get an aftermarket complete AC kit with the flat bulkhead plate at the firewall and a complete Autometer dash. Most of the rest of it is sitting ready to go. Will get the inner and outer fenders painted and ready to install before winter gets here so I don't have to try and do that in January. Have new outers and inners (used in good shape) are epoxy primed ready to prep. Got plenty of heat in the garage but still, this is Canada and January ain't the time of year to be starting that stuff in your home garage.
Final paint is going to be the stock two-tone orange-white scheme. What's on there now is 524 hugger orange.
Attached Images