View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #273
sparkydog

Re: Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab

Here is my 1st round of thoughts on cutting down the rear doors:

First and foremost - cut up the passenger side first in case I discover a better way I can make the driver side look better which is what I will see most of the time!

Door Frame will be made by combining the forward pillar and of most of the window top of the TAll with the rear pillar and window side of the PUp (similar to what I did with the cab sections). There are several reasons why. Most important is the shape of the pillar and rear edge of the outer door skin have several differences so it is easier to get blue to match blue and white to white when blending with cabs. Second, the location of the door latch is about 1/4" difference between white and blue so why mess with modifying when I can graft?

Outer skin is going to be mostly white but also a little blue. Most body guys will tell me to take all of the white skin off and then tack, fold and spot (plug) weld the white skin back onto the new shorter frame but I am going to have a small vertical seam near the rear edge.

On the interior it is mostly about getting the white inner panel to section shorter because I want to use a shortened TAll rear door panel inside a shortened door panel cavity. So the squarish cavity has to be there instead of the swoopy cavity off the PUp. So I am going to cut out the inner white panel as if it was a skin, then section it shorter and graft back onto the new white/blue door frame combo.
Attached Images

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote