View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #8
mr48chev

Re: 53 front suspension recommendations keeping original chassis

Bro Speed is a back door outlet for Hoffman group junk. Meaning it is Helix suspension. You can do a search and find page upon page of complaints about them.

I have one of their "universal" crossmembers tossed out in the weeds out behind the garage as it is too suspect to use as it is. My son and I will fix it one of these days as most of the issue is very sloppy welds and the welds for assembling it being ground though in places when they ground it to clean up the welds.

I was going to buy a crossmember that used Dodge Dakota pieces made by a guy in Phoenix but he decided that he didn't like the repetition of making the same part over and over again even though there had to be pretty good money in it when you knocked out several a day. That thing was built like a bridge and you could swap big Chrysler rotors to have big brakes and your 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern .

I've got a Jag XJS front end that I will probably use. I got it cheap from a guy in Bend Oregon and drove my Geo Prism GSI down and stuck it in the trunk and drove back. It is pretty well trimmed away to get the rig low but you could easily install one to have what ever ride height you wanted and have a good ride and good handling and even with a rebuild of the suspension wouldn't be in it that deep. It does have a Chevy bolt pattern though.

It seems that guys used to complain about one particular kit that was well made but rode way too high for most of our tastes. That would be the one to get.

That Universal crossmember I have could be trimmed to set at any ride height you want high or low but it does need a lot of work to make it into a decent crossmember. It's not going to be a hold it in place and weld it up unit as a guy would have to do a lot of measuring and fitting to get it all right.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote