View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Help me get better fuel mileage

That fan setup is a SPAL 11" dual setup that can be ordered from Summit Racing under the "BeCool" line http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BCI-75007/

I have the same fans in my 84 GMC and have never had issues with the fans themselves. The setup comes with the shrouds and the are easy to install. If you look close, you can see that I used some strap mill stock that is available from any hardware store chain. I cut to runners that go from the top to the bottom and then connected the cross-pieces to them that hold the fans in place. If I want to remove the fans, four nuts and unplug them, they are out and on the shop floor.

I use a SPAL PWM fan controller, but there are many other ways to control them. While on the Hot Rod Power Tour, the 84's fan controller got water in it, and I had to jury rig the fans in the middle of Birmingham Alabama's cruise night.

The fan controllers that I use allows one fan to come on and then if the temps continue to increase, the second fan comes on, too. For the most part the second fan never runs. To limit the wear on the fan motors, I swap the plugs each winter, so that the opposite fan runs each year.