View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #45
67c10rustbuket

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Thanks for the input! I think you might be the only person reading my thread at this point! To me the whole thing looks like it should just be replaced, however since I am always interested in 2nd opinions, I will post some more detailed pics tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.
Just watched the vid man that worked out great! And the cab and rockers look to be in real nice shape, definately better than what I started with.

Im not the only one watching you just one of the few commenting, it takes a while to get an audience unless you throw down $20k in parts your first week then everyone wants to watch.

Just make sure when you buy the repair panels that you check the thickness. a lot of the available panels are made by the same taiwan people and they stamp them out of 3 different thicknesses that I have personally seen. If you go to sortafit, uh certi-fit they are the thinnest available. so when you call around to check for repair panels ask what thickness their panels are. I have some on my truck that are 1.2mm and 1.4mm and one floor patch that I think i may not use that is 1.0mm, Flimsy! The floor edge you pictured is 1.4mm and the rockers, corners, and pillars are 1.2mm on my truck. I am no professional just another guy who spent years planning this out and studying what other people did. I would be pretty clueless without this forum.

Well I did already know how to weld somewhat but not a certified pro or anything. And another note I am currently using flux core .030" and have used .035" on sheet metal, It is a little tricky and you cannot run a bead on sheet metal without a lot of practice, just weld a little spot at a time and go a few inches between and go back between untill it is solid. With true MIG gas you can run a short bead but dont get too carried away as you might warp your work. I like to use a backer with the fluxcore to keep it from blowing through as it seems to have a tendency to do so a lot more than true MIG. You can use a piece of aluminum plate or copper plate or eastwood sells weld backers with magnets to stick on the underside, I have one I made that seems to do the job pretty well. It would be ideal to use .024 solid wire/true MIG on sheetmetal but you just need to use a little more practice and patience with the flux core wire. Later

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote