View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #24
Genuine GM

Re: Project Whipping Post

In early 2011 we had 6" of snow. While that may not seem like a lot to most, here in N. Texas it was terrible. My truck didn't like it. Heck, I didn't like it.

So with heater running I attacked the 5.3L The goal was a cleanup and paint. That goal changed when I scored a used Comp Cams XFI Camshaft (P/N: 54-412-11) for $50! That drove me to a valve spring change, which made me think (a 0.010" head mill would help compression). See, this is how my "quick" projects snowball...

Then I realized I needed an F-body oil pan so I snagged that. I had a friend with an Corvette LS1 with some rods hanging out of the block so it donated the windage tray, which I trimmed to fit the F-Body pan.

I reassembled with GM head gaskets, GM head bolts, and LS6 valve springs. Nothing too radical, it was my first exposure to an LS after all.

Finally I painted it. In the winter. In a cold garage. NEVER DO THIS!!!! The VHT never got a chance to cure properly and it is now flaking off. It looks meh, but that is ok because there is 6.0 waiting to be built...

Anyway, here are the photos.

Dressed for installation.

With the engine done I enlisted my dad (working the jack) and a friend (in the engine bay) to help drop it in. I don't own an engine tilter. I really should...

As noted above I hated the way the conversion mounts worked so I modified the block portion and made my own frame portion.

At this point I scored a stock fuel injection intake, harness and computer so I threw it on an started wiring it up. That was the plan. Eventually I decided I didn't want to learn EFI while also dealing with new brakes, trans, rearend and suspension. So for ease of tuning and quick running, I put the carb stuff back on. (also notice the master cylinder and line routing is different) I still have the EFI and that is a short term goal once I get some miles on it.

For headers I used the Hedman's recommended by Rob MacGregor in the J/T build. The fit like a glove. Notice the carb is back on it here.

I whipped up a mount for the MSD box out of aluminum and used some heim joints to make the throttle talk too the pedal.

The next step was forced by a less than friendly neighbor. Notice there is no front suspension in the engine install photo? Yeah, the city I was in had a non running car ordinance...

1961 IH Scout 80 - "Gaucho" (My wife's new project)
1938 Chevy - unstarted project.

Last edited by Genuine GM; 05-03-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Genuine GM is offline   Reply With Quote