View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #25
Genuine GM

Re: Project Whipping Post

Shortly after March 2011 the company I work for was bought out, and since I was the first employee I was offered a decent sign-on bonus for staying. I parlayed that into CPP front suspension parts, a Miller 211 MIG and ultimately a new house with a shop.

But first, that neighbor...

Shortly after receiving the sign-on bonus the city sent me a letter in the mail stating I had 30 days to either remove the truck, or get it running, with daily fines to follow. Being a proponent of small government that leaves us alone I did what I do. I looked for loop holes. The City of Keller defined "running" as tagged with a current State inspection and insurance. It also had to look the part. Hmmm... Antique tags in TX only require insurance, no inspection. So I order up the front end parts, got insurance and put Antique tags on it. Volia! "Running" truck. The city balked at the lack of an inspection and engine until I showed them the State laws for Antique tags. The conceded. Even the city code enforcement guy was impressed with my manipulation of their laws.

Money!

Installed.

A running truck... per the City of Keller.

When the last photo was taken I was really close here to having a running and driving truck . To be frank, had I not got that sign-on bonus it would have been running within a month or two. Instead my wife and I decided to move so I shelved this project and bought a house with a shop. That killed the rest of 2011 and I wasn't able to touch the truck until early 2013. I consider that an acceptable delay.
1961 IH Scout 80 - "Gaucho" (My wife's new project)
1938 Chevy - unstarted project.

Last edited by Genuine GM; 05-03-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Genuine GM is offline   Reply With Quote