View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
jocko

Re: 2500HD E-rated tire pressure question

On most tires, I agree, 80 psi will definitely wear the center out first - but I'm only talking about HD E-rated tires. If I'm not mistaken - the door label is COLD TIRE PRESSURE, not max load. Max Load is only listed on the tire itself. Everything I've ever read says to inflate to the door label (again, still talking about original tires here). For instance, my 2001 1500 label says cold tire pressure is 50 psi, and that's what I inflate them to - even though the aftermarket tires are rated at much higher psi). And wear has always been very even, no bad patterns in 270k miles yet. This new-to-me 01 2500HD is the first truck I've owned that came with E tires from the factory, so was surprised to see 60/80 psi f/r on there (once I found my glasses when I got home...). I took a wag and drove the truck home at 50 psi all around (because I didn't have my glasses with me and couldn't read the dang label or tire..) - but the sidewalls were pretty saggy and they still looked low. Since I didn't have my glasses, I didn't want to over-inflate them because they were the original tires, about 18 years old. Anyway, there I go. Everything written says inflate to the label pressure, even when the topic has nothing to do with max loaded weight. I'd rather inflate to the correct pressure in the first place than to correct a wear pattern after the fact - that's why I'm asking about this (and because I want to make these old tires last as long as possible, they're old but have no dry rot and lots of tread). For E rated tires, specifically, most of the stuff I've read seems to indicated that E rated tires need that much pressure (60-80) in general to keep the sidewall fully inflated and to avoid heating up too much. And that is what's on the door label.

Last edited by jocko; 10-20-2018 at 11:35 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote