View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
demian5

Re: Another Edelbrock issue

Ok - check this out.

I have a friend with a 70 camaro, 350 4-speed, hes had it since new. At one time he had it restored and they redid the engine and trans and put a cam, aluminum intake, headers, holley carb. He said ever since then, the car wouldn't idle right when cold, and when the cold issue was handled, it would die when hot.

It came to me when it wouldn't idle at all hot or cold. Found a leaking rear float. Replaced it. Ran great when hot but you had to deal with it being "cold blooded" I told him (as I was wrapping it up). However, I decide to hold onto the car for another morning to dive into the choke and carb idle issue as well, as it appeared the choke was "hanging up" and not opening completely.

Not hanging up on the air cleaner, lubed the linkage and plastic idle arm and some times ok other times, no good. Tested ground and voltage at the choke, maybe the aluminum intake was not grounded? 6.8v at the choke wire.

Bingo.

The distributor was still OG style points with a coil with the choke wire coming of of the coil terminal. Ran a new wire from the fuse box to the choke, bam - solved.

This car in 70 came factory with a the temp spring mechanical type (divorced?) choke - didn't need 12v...
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote