View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
Grumpy old man

Re: In Lieu of the Hood Brace Pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
Don't glue the braces to the skin. When the hood skin warms in the sun, it expands. Where it is glued to the braces, it will not, and be low spot, looking like a dent. I use the hood bracing material. And bend the braces as necessary, if the gap is too large.
I've used it before and it worked for me , YMMV , So answering the op's question "In Lieu of the Hood Brace Pads? " I suggested urethane , There are products available today just for this purpose but they are 2 part and pricey ( $ 20.00 - $50.00 ) requiring a 200 ml gun ($50.00) and urethane is cheap ($8.00 ) and just about everyone has a caulking gun . Without a picture to see just exactly what's bent anything that's cheap and fast and permanent may be better than time consuming jack bolts or adding extra bracing ? The op said "I do not want to try and bend the braces to improve the gap consistance for fear of permantly warping the hood ".

Reduces Noise, Vibration and Harshness in Vehicles

For collision repair jobs where minimizing NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) is important, the 3M NVH Dampening Material is an excellent complement to flexible or pillar foams and factory dampening materials. This two-component material applies smoothly and easily between roof skins and roof bows, door skins, door intrusion beams or other areas using non-structural type foam materials. Unlike many seam sealers, this material goes in soft yet remains very sturdy, allowing for expansion and contraction of automotive sheet metal. Yet it has no solvents so it won’t shrink and pull the metal in after installation. It minimizes application time and cleanup – it applies right from the cartridge without added mixing time, and provides up to a 1” thick layer of flexible material on vertical and overhead surfaces.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/FUS124.html

https://www.amazon.com/3M-04274-NVH-.../dp/B005IU2IPM
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 01-23-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote