View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
ChevyTech

Re: 1990 Chevy 4x4 low speed miss

You're welcome.
Quote:
So I disconnected the egr valve today and this eliminated a lot of the problem.
Note: A lean condition caused by another problem can be magnified when the EGR valve opens.

EGR valves have a spring in them that can get weak, or break, causing the valve to open too much or to easily.

I would suggest only using a general motors replacement EGR valve, if you decide to put a new valve on it.

If the fuel pressure is low, this will exaggerate the sag in power when the EGR opens.

Quote:
I also noticed a hole in the y pipe today just close to the oxygen sensor. Wondering if that may have anything to do with it.
Yes!
Fix the leak.
Air getting in the exhaust system can also affect the o2 reading. In open loop operation (cold) the ECM ignores the o2 sensor reading, but in closed loop (warm) the ECM uses the o2 reading to determine if the engine is running lean or rich. If the exhaust system leaks ahead of the o2 sensor, (or just behind it), the pulses in the exhaust will draw in air and cause the o2 sensor to get an incorrect reading. A vehicle with an A.I.R. will have the same problem if the air management valve allows air to be injected in the exhaust manifolds during closed loop operation.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote