Thread: 1969 Short Wide
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Well I was truly fortunate to locate a truck in that condition; the one I had prior to this was in need of some serious repair.

I have to agree with you though... you just don't see many retaining the 69-70 grills. Even in my short lived experiences with these trucks I have gone from the 67-68 to the 71-72 and finally ended with the 69-70. I've even changed the style I wanted... from full custom to a fairly original truck with minor modifications (clean and sleek).

I will be sure to keep up on this build, and if you run into any issues let me know. I will try to help as best I can.

BTW.. the grill posted above on the blue truck looks to be in fairly good condition. Try to reuse it if you can as they don't make them anymore. The only pictured above is a true original grill and you can tell by the continuation of the lines between the turnsignals and the headlights. Where as mine is a true GM replacement grill ad the black continues on past the turnsignals but they don't reach the headlights. The aftermarket replacements don't continue on the outside of the turnsignals. Use it if you can... I'm going to try and locate a nice original one in the future, as if!

Nate,
Thanks for the insight about the grill, I was actually going to use the original. This is just a "get your feet wet" build to hopefully teach my son how to do basic mechanical tasks. We will keep the truck in the family so later on we can do a full on restore. He is 15 and will be driving this puppy before the end of the year hopefully. I am seeking as much info about these trucks as I can get since I haven't worked on any in probably 10 years.....kids, home building, hunting, fishing...keeps me too busy.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote