View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
palallin

Unhappy Tahoe in a wreck

My son and his '95 4WD Tahoe were in a wreck yesterday. The left front of the Tahoe impacted the right rear of the suddenly-stopped vehicle in front of him on the highway. His speed was already down, but he just couldn't stop fast enough to keep from hitting the car in front. It was a light car, but we don't have the extent of the damage clearly determined yet. The Highway Patrol cleared the vehicles so quickly that we couldn't get pics or look closely (I was behind him in another vehicle), and, when the tow rig got it to the yard, it was pouring rain. Going back down to it today to get the rest of his stuff and take some pics.

the airbag did NOT deploy. I don't know what sort of impact is supposed to set them off, but this suggests to me a reasonably low differential speed between his Tahoe and the car in front of him.

Anyway: the front bumper has been pushed back so that the fender well touches the tire. I couldn't tell at the time if the time whether the tire/axle has been pushed back. I will try to find out today (if the rain holds off). The insurance company is transporting it 100 miles away to a secure place that they don't have to pay storage to until an adjuster can get a look at it.

Anyway, I know it will need bumper, grill, hood. The left front frame horn is probably munched. We do have collision on it. Until this point, the thing has been in grate shape, very straight an only a few rust patches. 203,xxx miles.

Other than the possible axle damage, what should I be looking for? I haven't had to deal with one of this body style/vintage after a wreck before.