View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
hotrodman_crg

Talking Re: intermittent sputter under acceleration-my solution

My 1988 chevy 1500 pick up was doing the same thing, but it got worse and worse until it was undrivable. It would start up fine idle decent but if you gave it gas even in park, it would cut out and stumble like either it was running out of fuel or losing spark. It turned out to be the spark. At first I suspected fuel, changed fuel filter... no change, checked fuel pressure... 13 lbs perfect, so... not fuel. Started looking at electronics, checked the MAP sensor... good, checked the TPS sensor... questionable... changed & re-checked TPS... good but no change in motor running, changed cap and rotor... no change, changed coil... no change, tried a new coil wire... no change. I then decided to look into the distributor, removed the ignition module and took it to the parts store to get it tested... heres where I learned something... when I was removing the module i noticed that the plug going into the distributor shaft was "sticky" and not really whole anymore, it turns out that the ignition coil pick-up was bad, and was shorting out my ignition module. The crappy part of replacing that coil pick-up, is that you have to pull the distributor out and dismantle it. I reassembled the distributor with the new pick-up and new ignition module, put it all back in and reset the timing, and so far so good. Runs great! Good luck!
hotrodman_crg is offline   Reply With Quote