View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #1404
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

In order to change any tube angles I needed to get a 2" die set. I shopped around because they are pretty spendy. I got the woodward Fab one from summit racing to see if it would work. I didn't really know because the bender was designed to use the dies from pro-tools or JD Squared. The woodward fab set is about $100 cheaper so worth a shot since it's not something I would be using a lot.

The first problem was the main pivot hole is supposed to be 1". It was NOT well machined. The pin just jammed in the end. I don't have a 1" drill bit. I checked with the town mechanic and he steered me to a guy south of town that would. Incredible shop on this farm about a mile or so from me. He specializes in restoring indian motorcycles and cushmans, among other things. He has everything I hope to have for my own future shop and then some. Anyway, he helped me out by boring out the hole. Didn't take much but still a PITA.

So then the next problem was that the other holes in the die have a slightly different spacing. By about 1/16". I don't know if that's by design or just poor quality control. They are a 7/8" hole and the rods would go through ok but there was just enough misalignment in the bender that the pin wouldn't go through. The easiest fix was to pick up a couple 3/4" grade 8 bolts. The holes in the bender itself need some redrilling too so it wasn't just the die. I was able to get the die installed and it worked ok, but has a little free play that wouldn't be there with the 7/8" pins holding it.

I pulled out the passenger side bar and set it up to put just a small bend in just behind the windshield post bend. It turned out ok. I had to recut the notch and I shortened it about an inch on that back end and about 3/8" on the bottom front end. Other than my notch being off a few degrees I'm good with how it turned out.

It's about 3-1/2" outboard of where I had it. Now I just need to try and copy that for the driver side.

After I get this section done I need to decide if I want to raise the body a bit before I make up the tubes that will tie in from underneath and attach to the frame rails. I think an inch or so would be good but don't think it's necessary. And I need to finish getting the rear springs and gas tank out of the way.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote