View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 02:37 AM   #3
ShortHaul

Re: "Project ShortHaul" The Build Journey

Time for another update from the road...

We made it up to Dana Point the first night and promptly experienced our first “Roadkill” moment. My wife had tracked down a hotel for the night on Hotwire, for a great rate since it was last minute, turns out it’s at the Hilton in Dana Point, pretty swanky joint by my standards. We pull up and are greeted by the Valet Guy, who is looking at the truck like it’s from another planet! And remember, this truck has a huge lope at idle, the whole damn thing is shaking and wants to lurch forward... He says “ummm can I help you?” I just pull past him and park it right in front, next to his Valet stand. He is too dumbfounded to really say anything lol! I don’t think he’s ever seen a rig like this. Parked next to us was a new Mercedes sedan and a Maserati. Meanwhile there is a big crowd of folks at an outside patio bar area enjoying cocktails and a fire pit, and they are ALL staring at us, and the truck. My wife was turning red at this point.

So we get checked in and unload our bags then I go back to park the truck. I wasn’t going to let the Valet kid touch it. As I go to fire it up, it won’t start. So there I am, cranking it over and trying to start it, it’s catching but dying again and again, at this point the whole group of people outside is literally staring right at me. I’m sure they are all wondering where the F this hillbilly came from!

So there I am with the hood up, and the air cleaner off, looking through the car and motor. And mind you, I’ve only owned the truck for about 2 hours now. I’ve started it a total of 3 times and each time it’s fired right up... now it won’t start. Plus I’m exhausted from a looooong day... I go sit in the cab and Think it over... I come to the fairly obvious conclusion that it’s flooded, so I let it sit, hood up for a while and then open the carb up fully and fire it. It fires up, finally! Then I give a big smile and wave to the group of people who were undoubtedly entertained by my presence, and lope my way into the parking garage...
22C2D20A-89A1-4697-9B75-DD5BC04E4483 by awesome_adawson, on Flickr
05AE8661-53D8-4CE3-BA8B-CEB1D335084E by awesome_adawson, on Flickr
E05F885D-D93F-4155-A871-0623C595E39D by awesome_adawson, on Flickr
Pics are me in front of the lobby, and then downstairs in the parking lot

Last edited by ShortHaul; 04-29-2018 at 10:25 PM.
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote