View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #52
NEWFISHER

Re: Let See Seats On Your 55-59 Truck

I have read ( on a few forums) questions asked about " what to use when rebuilding a seat" This is just to document what I did to the frame/spings and build up with a cover pre cut and sewn ready to install.

I stripped mine down to the frame/springs, repaired any springs or bars that were damaged. I pulled/stretched all of the springs that had seen abuse over 60 years making sure that all of them looked even and square within thier individual area. I painted both halves of the seat-frame-springs then covered the bottom and back assemblies with burlap that I hog ringed to the spring retainer bars so it wouldnt slide around. I layed cotton batting over the burlap on the back portion and fit the cover. Anything thicker than the cotton will push you forward ( great for shorter people) I Stretched the cover around and hog ringed it down-forget about those factory clips, they tear the vinyl and are a p.i.a. rings work great. After the burlap secured to the lower section, I cut out a 2 inch slab of medium density foam and lightly glued it to the burlap with spray adhesive. Tossed the cover on, pulled the edges, hog ringed it on. I started in the middle of the seat and worked my way to the outsides both front and back of each seat halve together, pulled and ringed the sides last. Installed the base, slid it forward and installed the back. Slid it back and went for a ride....no bouncing, looks great ( some areas will relax a bit in the sun etc).

NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote