View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #214
joedoh

Re: 1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

yeah he is a dynamite human being too, so he has that going for him.

I picked up the forklift last week, I opted for the adult option and hired a tow truck to haul it the 2.9 miles to my house. sure I have a nice steel deck car trailer and a 2500HD, but something told me to pay the 90 bucks.

and good thing, because my brother in law texted when I arrived with the tow truck that the propane hose that had worked for the last 12 years broke RIGHT THEN. I wasnt allowed in (hard hat, plus the wrong side of the building for visitors) and they tried valiantly to repair the line with hose clamps (which didnt work for 3000 reasons). I felt pretty good about calling for a tow because he largely ignored the 8000 lbs of inertness and just bebopped it up on the deck with the winch.

IMG_9694 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9692 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9695 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I JUST missed a shot of the tow truck with the front wheels 3 feet off the ground when he was unloading, I was backing away from the truck like that 4th of July my wifes family bought 6" OD fireworks and and launched them from a 6" OD pipe, he didnt even notice till it went KABOOM, just like that 4th. I fixed the line at Parker and my wife got it stuck in the front yard. I said "dont drive in the grass" but apparently I didnt tell her the right way because she didnt immediately understand why driving it in the grass ONLY A LITTLE was bad, so my fault. that would seem to be enough fun for the day but nope, I lifted everything that was in the driveway including the next donor truck, then tucked it away for the time being.

IMG_9727 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

more interior. I bought a headliner but anyone who has messed with the cardboard headliners knows what fun they are to install, with all the compound curves. I had some black kydex (lets be honest I buy kydex every time I go to the yard store, its awesome stuff) but because I left it outside the string it was tied with made a wrinkle. I tried to get it out with a heat gun, but just pushed it around a while before giving up. I had some nice grey kydex and actually that one turned out nice, but cooler heads prevailed (it was either paint it black or leave it grey and neither really made an appealing choice to me).

IMG_9738 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9739 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

so I fought the cardboard. it. _sucked_. turns out that being a 1942 truck meant that a 1941 headliner did not fit and it did not have the center bow for the 1946 headliner. so the headliner actually needed a lot of trimming especially over the doors? very strange.
I also had to pull the wiper cowl because on the LAST truck I didnt and all the hidden squirrel mess would blow in your face when you had the windshield open. see? LEARNING.

IMG_9723 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9725 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
54802058216__B3952850-E8F1-4D1D-A428-D7A3CB60A72C by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I wanted the headlight harnesses to be unspliced but the factory hole in the fender was too far back. there was a more convenient hole in the doubler but not the fender, so I just drilled it. perf.
IMG_9729 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and I found a way to have the turn signal bulb and socket fit under the lens! wooooot.

IMG_9732 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9730 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9731 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

more to come!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote