View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Rams horn exhaust manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
383 for pullin stumps, I'd recomend manifolds, unless you are working it at 3000+ RPMs
I was thinking the same thing. If I ask this question to any car person, they all say "heck yeah, run headers". However, my experience with headers has been mixed. On a relatively stock motor, on an often-driven vehicle, I've seen little gains and more headaches from heat, leaks and cracks.

On the flip side, nicely modified motors seem to like headers, esp as you said at higher RPMs and they sound better! What I have determined is that "good" headers are the way to go or not at all. Never buy cheap ones unless you want problems left and right.

But I've read and heard many truck folks saying to keep the ram horns. I'm having the engine built and tuned for lower RPM, higher torque use. And I already have a good set of horns on the 350 that I am yanking out. I have always wondered about some "real life" opinions. I've read many of the other threads here on this subject, and still couldn't come to a conclusion. And this thread opened the door again.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote