Thread: 1967 Chevelle
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #84
jmking9

Re: 1967 Chevelle

One of the other projects I've been dreading was figuring out a clutch pedal and the hydraulic setup to make it all work. The best thing I found as far as fool proof alignment of the pedal and master cylinder was this kit from Mcleod. It includes the firewall bracket, and a new clutch pedal that is designed just for their bracket to keep everything in line. It also comes with the master cylinder, braided line, and the reservoir. I was pretty disappointed when I opened the box and seen the parts didn't look quite like they did in the picture. Much more plastic.
I mocked it up and got the firewall cut to allow the master to pass through. I also mocked up the new clutch pedal and everything looks like it lines up perfectly. So I guess I'm going to just live with the plastic master cylinder since this kit really seems to take the guess work out of the part of equation. I was also wrong in thinking that I could just modify the original auto brake pedal to work. So I need a pedal out of a manual transmission car, which is also hard to find. The only thing I can find is a repop kit that has a brake and clutch pedal. So it looks like I will have to buy the kit just to get the brake pedal.
The other problem I've ran into is that the top studs on the pedal box are too short now that I have the added brackets from the clutch master, and the brake prop valve that bolt on using the studs. But that shouldn't be too difficult to solve. Here are a few pictures from trial fitting the brake and clutch masters. I was worried that the clutch master might interfere with where the brake lines need to run into the prop valve, but it looks like it will be fine
Attached Images