View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
raceman6135
Dino burner

Re: Figuring out what I bought- What kind of lifters

There are currently six different Voodoo camshafts made by Lunati for the Gen I small block Chevrolet. OP may or may not need to upgrade the rocker arm studs, valve springs, etc.

OP will need to use a dial indicator to measure the camshaft lobe that had the lifter that "went out" to determine if the lobe got wiped.

If the camshaft is OK, then he can drop in a new lifter, properly lubricated, and then follow the regular break-in procedure. Sure, he might be able to get away without doing the break-in procedure, but why risk it?

Also, at the very least, new oil and filter should be used after installing the new lifter. There are many different opinions on whether the entire engine should be stripped, cleaned of all possible metal filings (however small) from the failed parts, and then reassembled. Others will just use a magnetic drain plug and change the oil and filter two or three times over the next 500 to 1000 miles to get rid of the majority of metallic particles.

I'm the kind of guy that wants to know WHY did the lifter fail? Sometimes it's faulty heat treat on that lifter; sometimes it's a mechanical interference in that cylinder's valvetrain that causes problems; sometimes the lifter stops rotating in its bore because of dirt, sludge, mechanical interference (like a burr).

Lots of times, a new lifter can be dropped in, you fire it up, and just continue on your merry way for thousands of miles.

Once OP returns with more info, he can get some more recommendations, but I agree with the other posters that believe that's an all stock valvetrain and is suitable only for the mildest versions of the Voodoo camshaft.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote