View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #49
moregrip

Re: Sparky's 1978 Silverado Build "Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads79GMC View Post
Good day. Wanted to go back talk about some of the panel alignment. One of the things that always draws me to a great looking truck, outside of paint etc. is how the lower box line, lower rocker line and lower fender line align - the lighter the paint, the more important I believe it is to have well aligned panels. Here are a few pic's related to what I'm working with, or have fixed on the right and left side.

Pictures:
1. After first installing the front clip, you can see the fender line and rocker panel are quit off, almost a 1/2 inch. Again, having only tacked in the rocker, I was able adjust as necessary and shim fender to where they finally aligned.

2. On the drivers side, I had the same issue and was able to adjust. You can see the slight tear in the rocker panel (just below the vertical yellow line where I got a little aggressive) which will fill quite easily, with a weld. Learning this from my young mentor JaysonB, I will have to make cuts (1)
along the yellow line on the rocker and push forward and weld in a small patch panel to give the door, fender and rocker a good clean line all around. (2) Showing the good alignment of fender and rocker panel.

3. Notes are on the picture. However, it'll be a balancing act to not over-correct. There will be a lot of taking of the bedside and putting it back on.

Thanks Mike
Mike,

Excellent detail! thank you for taking the time make everything clear and precise! Can't wait to get my built by brooks brackets installed on my long bed frame too! I'm wrapping up this damn College degree I started in 3 weeks time and then I can have some free time again!

Devin

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote