View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
gearboxx70

Re: Oil? We don't need no stinking oil!

So I finally got around to the gas gauge issue today...

I took Street Smart's advise (due to reasons mentioned above), and dropped the tank from underneath. I have to say, it was all pretty smooth! The wire broke off right at the connector which was originally soldered on, as near as I can tell. I didn't have a female bullet-style connector in my little boxes of tricks, so I had to wing it. I found a factory-style plug that was a female/male bullet combo encased in rubber. I cut away the rubber on the female side to get the connector out. Then I carefully pried the connector apart to get what was left of the wire out. Got a couple pieces of shrink tubing, the connector, and some tools, and went back under for some fun with copper wire. Since the wire was a little stiff and showed some green at the end, I cut off 3 inches, stripped it back, put on the "new" connector, and slapped it all back together!

To stick with the thread that one problem leads to another... While I was farting around with the gas tank, I found the tailpipe to be just resting loosely in the muffler. The only thing really holding it in place is the hanger behind the rear axle. But that project gets to go on the back burner for awhile. I'm waiting on the funds to get the factory 307 rebuilt and put back in my fiance's Nova. Then the 350 goes into the burb. At that point, I'll need a new exhaust set up anyway.
gearboxx70 is offline   Reply With Quote